Monday, June 9, 2008

Heroes Day

Masseh went to Wentz clinic again today because her leg still cant support her weight and is inflamed. They prescribed an antibiotic in case of secondary infection, vitamin B, and Ibuprofen like syrup which is for pain and inflammation, and a topical ointment for the right knee area which is bugging her. They then sent us to Nsambya hospital to have X-rays. You may have heard the saying before"Dont nobody want to go to jail in Mexico" well let me add to that "Dont nobody want to go to the hospital in Uganda". Waited in line for over an hour just to pay for the X-rays (prepay is a must here to get any kind of treatment) then found that the technician had gone to lunch. Another hour goes by and she shows up and rudely rushes us through X-ray only to tell us the Radiologist is in only on Wednesdays. It doesnt appear that there is anything major wrong but we'll know more on Wed. I guess. She is eating/drinking fine and pooing nice solid dookies so only the slight fever to contend with unless we hear more. She is laughing and playing more and the diaper rashy stuff seems to be drying right out with the Desitin so keep her in your prayers and she'll be fine. We also plan to eat lots of pineapple and maybe some garlic-strong anti-inflammatories.... If she does need to take real Ibuprofen how much can she take per Sherri the family pharmacist?

Here we are- another public holiday in Uganda in which no work on the Visa can be accomplished. But anyway it is called Hero's Day and I would like to use this time to recognize a few of mine. I know you are all thinking Bob Marley, Chris Mullin, maybe Randall Cunningham or even Dominique Wilkins. All heroic figures in their fields sure- but I think I have higher expectations for my heroes then windmill dunks over 7 footers. My Dad is my hero for all the right reasons and I want to be that kind of father to my kids too. He was orphaned at a very young age and I think part of why we are so passionate about finding Masseh and bringing her home is because my Dad was taken in and loved and given opportunities for a better life and has repaid that by raising 6 good kids(yes even you Shane). My wife Janet is my hero- she saved me from myself and has helped me understand what love is. I shudder to think what my life would be without her and know that the Lord helped me to find her(and to say "Yes" when she proposed:) She is my sweetheart and partner in all things and I credit her for having the courage to adopt from Africa and to open our home and hearts to Masseh completely just as we did when Kaya was born biologically. My last Hero today is our Savior Jesus Christ and what I cant express for Him I can at least feel in my heart. He is everything to me and gives me strength to do things I never thought possible. He is my joy and my comfort and my peace and I will try to remember Him not only in times of need but always. I love my Lord and Savior Jesus Christ and He loves me too. Those are my heroes and I hope each of you have some just like them in your lives!

2 comments:

Frazier said...

Masseh can really not catch a break with her health. I can't wait to have her home so we can take her to the doctor here. I am very worried though that she could have a staph infection in her leg. If she isn't doing better tomorrow, you need to take her to the private hospital and see what they say. Did David tell you that I spoke with the embassy last night (no small feat to find someone with the right information) and they do have our I-600A and are sending it to Kampala. They should have the information when you go tomorrow either from Nairobi or from the National Visa Center. So hopefully they will process the visa tomorrow and maybe just maybe they will rush it for us. We deserve a break, don't we? Let me know as soon as you have information from the embassy and please call me if at all possible. Love you!

Elise said...

D, you probably never thought you'd rather be at two-a-days with fat Ron or moving pipe in 39 degree weather, but right now you probably feel that way!! We're all praying for you guys and the family has been good to keep you guys in all conversations so no one can forget...I hope your fortunes change soon Bro! My fam and mom and dad went up to Billings to see Hoss' crew and had a good time - Marie is a little girl now, and Callie is quick to smile at anyone who sounds like daddy, which I guess I do:) We crossed a lot of good fishin streams on the way there, so I'll have to go back there someday.
Well, we are getting excited to get you guys back home and have a goat BBQ. If it's any solace to you I've never had one feeling of doubt or uneasiness that this will work out - I know it will be fine! There are typically two ways the Lord helps us through stressful times; some people think praying that He'll take the burden away is how the Atonement works, but there's another way He helps us; He strengthens our backbone so that WE can come up with the solution and WE can see just how strong/resilient we are. I pray differently knowing that. Sometimes He will simply take the load off our shoulders, but if that doesnn't work we can pray not that the load will be taken away, but that we will have the fortitude to deal with the load and learn from it. You already know this but it's just a reminder.
Give Masseh a squeeze for us! love ya, Shane