Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I have a new found appreciation for Western medicine. I also have a new found appreciation for parents of sick children. So Masseh's fever is not just a little virus. She has a bad case of malaria. Her blood count was very high and they immediately admitted her to the clinic. It is possible that she never fully recovered from her last bout a month ago. So today was spent holding Masseh for hours while she screamed at the hospital. They couldn't get a vein for the IV so they just kept trying and sticking her which unfortunately led to blood going all over me and the floor. No wonder she was traumatized and screamed the rest of the time and kept trying to get off the bed. She will have to stay until tomorrow but hopefully will be feeling better soon. The Mckenzie's houselady gets the overnight shift and we will go back in the morning. It's was a stressful day but hopefully she will completely recover this time. We will bring back malaria medication for her just in case. On a positive note, we found a safari that is only about 3 hours away so we are going to do that on Thurs. Should be lots of fun. How is everyone at home doing? How is Kaya? Is mom staying with her in Riverton and or in Jerome? Thanks for all the comments. I feel that some of you are slacking off and could really take 5 minutes to respond :)
Please pray for Masseh, she is really sick.

7 comments:

Chad said...

Yikes! That's awful. I wondered if it was malaria when you mentioned she had a fever. I hope she gets feeling better soon. Here's the scoop on things here: Kaya stayed at Brent and Sabrina's yesterday and last night. Mom said she slept in Megan's room and slept all night, no problems. (Mom couldn't come down yesterday but is on her way this afternoon.) She was doing great last time I talked to them, but I will call Sabrina and ask her to update you. Everyone I've talked to said she is going just great. I hope things improve with Masseh's health quickly. Have lots of fun if you go on safari. That would be so much fun. Things here are fine so don't worry.

Lynette

Chad said...

I talked to Sabrina, and she is feeding the kids lunch. This afternoon she is going to take Kaya back over to your house for a nap (didn't think she would nap at her house.) Then they are going to play on the slip and slide in the yard. It's really hot here. She said Kaya seems a little more sensitive than usual, but you would only notice if you know how she normally is. She said she really is doing great. No problems and having fun with the kids. I will have Mom post tonight after she gets there. Take care.
Lynette

Sabrina said...

I'm so sorry to hear that Masseh is so sick.. That's hard on everyone. Kaya is doing great!! I gave her the option of sleeping at your house or having a slumber party at ours. She chose to sleep in Megan's room (which I think made Brent relieved as he was going to have to stay with our kids). Anyway I'm sure this will come as a huge surprise to you but she chose to read the 10 Little Lady Bugs as her bedtime story. Half way through Megan's story Kaya started to fall asleep, so I laid her on her bed and she went to sleep. I was shocked that she didn't wake up once until 7:15, although she is a crazy sleeper. (Every time I went to check on her she was in a different position). She woke up in a great mood and she wanted to wear Megan's clothes when they got dressed. Your mom may have a hard time getting the cupcake shirt off of her tonight. She and Megan played house while Brandon was at school. They are so funny. I got in trouble for waking up their babies. Kaya is going to be a very helpful big sister. She is very mothering of Eric which sometimes he does not appreciate. Kaya is napping right now and everyone is getting along pretty well.
Sabrina

Sabrina said...

I just read Lynette's post so I decided to explain. I was going to take Kaya back to your house to nap because I thought the chances of her napping here were pretty slim; but I gave her a choice. She wanted to stay here so I told her she would have to go to sleep. To my shock and I'm sure yours, she didn't fight it at all. She just laid on her bed and fell asleep. All I can say is I'm amazing.....ha ha.

Sabrina said...

Hi! I'm am here in Riverton and will be here until you get home. Kaya is fine and thinks she should live here with Brandon, Megan and Sabina. We'll see if we can get her to go home with me in a few minutes. She ate dinner here and did great. I am so sorry that Masseh got sick again. Poor girl. Hopefully, she will get better fast as it doesn't sound like the clinic experience is all that much fun. Nice that someone else can stay there during the night. Our prayers are with you. Have a good safari if you go and be safe.

Love, Mom

Sabrina said...

Your mom was wondering what lotion you use for Kaya when she has a patch of dry skin... Kaya wanted "her" kind not, the eucerin.

Elise said...

I'm glad you guys are taking it all in stride...sounds like Masseh's going to take a little time in adjusting to you two and to being in new confines when you get her back here. On the bright side, Maxim seemed to really thrive in those first few months in the states, so hopefully she will too. My seminary classes are aware of you guys and are hopefully praying for you as well - we're all hoping for a safe and prompt trip home when all is well with the paperwork. Is there anything we can do right when Janet and Patty get home, because they're going to have some serious jetlag! love ya, Shane