Wednesday, May 21, 2008

hospital

So, we were hoping that Masseh could be released from the hospital this morning after 3 rounds of treatment but her malaria levels were so high yesterday that she is requiring 3 more rounds. So another day in the hospital. She actually did a little better today but we left her with the house lady tonight screaming hysterically. I think her IV is extremely painful and she cries so hard when they hook the medicine up. I really really hate it. They are using an adult IV needle because they don't have pediatric. Pray that none of us get any communicable diseases. It is pretty bad there although I'm told it is actually really nice comparatively. I keep forgetting to tell you guys that she weighs about 18 lbs. So she is really really small. She is also really anemic so they have started her on iron. Derrick wants me to write that he played pick-up basketball at Kampala Univ. and his team never lost. Also, Uganda is unbelievably beautiful. So green with lots of trees, red soil, and flowers. With the exception of the malaria, it has been great. We leave for the safari at 5:00 in the morning so time to go to bed. Hope the crocs and hippos don't eat us :) Don't worry mom, it's perfectly safe.

5 comments:

jena said...

Praying for you guys. We are David and Jamie's adoption #2 coming right behind you. So sorry about the hospital stay. I'm sure that wasn't in your plan! We were so happy to hear that court went well for you.

Camille said...

Gosh, I swear I miss one day of looking at the postings and I miss a world of information! I am horribly sad to hear about Masseh's malaria issues. NOT COOL. I will pray that she gets better fast. 18 pounds is TINY. When people say that pictures always add 10 pounds, they weren't kidding in her case! I am glad to hear that she is small though so that you can pick her up and hold her. I am jealous that you are going on safari! When I tell Court, he is probably going to start crying but I will just have to assure him that he can go on his own safari some day. Please make sure to take lots of pictures. I wish I could be of assistance with Kaya. If anyone needs help from me, please let me know. I'll do whatever I can. I hate to not be a good godmother. Plus I adore her to death. Not that I could probably pry her away from grandma. I'm sure they are having a hayday together. We are gearing up for a trip to Lava Hot Springs with the Heinz clan for Memorial Day Weekend. Chance of snow in the mountains. So much for laying out by the pool. Should be fun though. When I arrive back, I want all the juicy Africa details!

Elise said...

Derrick, that's cool that the middle school girls were playing ball at the gym that day...proud of you! I don't know how much time you get with the computer, but we'd like to hear whether you've visited some of your old areas, seen some members of the church, etc. We're glad Masseh is getting good treatment and that all is going pretty well. We continue to pray for you guys. Shane

Elaine said...

Wow, I really hurt for Masseh! Poor LITTLE girl. I bet anemia is fairly common in the area right? I hope she is much better tomorrow. I also hope that the safari is great and safe. I'm sure Chad wishes that he was there for that. The weather was too cold to play outside today. Hope is gets warmer tomorrow. Sabrina leaves for her brother's graduation and we will miss them. We do plan to go to Sue's tomorrow. Kaya can hardly wait to see Bart. Sherri should come tomorrow too so all in all it will be a busy day. They closed on the new house today and I'm sure they are very excited about that...It's always great to hear from you. Love,Mom

Chad said...

We hope that Masseh is doing lots better today. I can't wait to hear about the safari. Chad is jealous. :) I told Bryce that you get to go see all the animals, and he looked at me like I was crazy. I hope you have a good time. It's freezing here so enjoy the warm weather.